The congregation voted unanimously to endorse the aspirational goals of the Green New Deal at the Annual Meeting of First Parish in Bedford, MA.
June 2, 2019
First Parish in Bedford endorses the aspirational goals of the Green New Deal.
The Green New Deal (GND) is a proposed set of actions to be taken by citizens and governments to avoid the dire consequences of climate change and create jobs and improve social equity while doing so. Reduced to simple bullet points, the Green New Deal is a program which calls for a “10-year national mobilization” whose primary goals are to:
- Meet 100 percent of the power demand in the United States through clean, renewable, and zero-emission energy sources
- Repair and upgrade the infrastructure in the United States, by ensuring that any infrastructure bill considered by Congress addresses climate change —(i) eliminating pollution and greenhouse gas emissions as much as technologically feasible; (ii) guaranteeing universal access to clean water; (iii) reducing the risks posed by climate impacts
- Build or upgrade to energy-efficient, distributed, and ‘smart’ power grids, and work to ensure affordable access to electricity
- Develop standards for upgrading existing buildings and for building new buildings to achieve maximal energy efficiency, water efficiency, safety, affordability, comfort, and durability, including through electrification
- Overhaul transportation systems in the United States to eliminate pollution and greenhouse gas emissions from the transportation sector as much as is technologically feasible, including through investment in — (i) zero-emission vehicle infrastructure and manufacturing; (ii) clean, affordable, and accessible public transportation; and (iii) high-speed rail
- Spur massive growth in clean manufacturing in the United States and remove pollution and greenhouse gas emissions from manufacturing and industry as much as is technologically feasible
- Work collaboratively with farmers and ranchers in the United States to eliminate pollution and greenhouse gas emissions from the agricultural sector as much as is technologically feasible
- Guarantee a job with a family-sustaining wage, adequate family and medical leave, paid vacations, and retirement security to all people of the United States
- Provide all people of the United States with — (i) high-quality health care; (ii) affordable, safe, and adequate housing; (iii) economic security; and (iv) access to clean water, clean air, healthy and affordable food, and nature
- Provide resources for job training and high-quality education, including higher education, to all people of the United States