Obtaining the App
The GivePlus Mobile app is available for both Apple iOS and Google Android. To install it, search for “GivePlus” in the Apple App Store or Google Play, or use these links:
Finding First Parish in the App
The first time you start the app this screen will show:
This asks you to identify the church to which you would like to give. You may choose First Parish in three different ways:
- By entering Bedford’s ZIP code 01730
- By entering portions of our name, such as “First Parish”
- By using the location features of your phone. (This may require giving permission to the app to access your location.)
Once First Parish in Bedford (or other church or non-profit) has been chosen, starting the app will take you directly to the next screen.
At this point, there are several choices to make:
- Whether to sign in, or give without signing in. If you do not create an account and sign in, you will have to enter your name and billing address each time you use the app.
- Whether to make a one-time donation, or to set up a recurring donation. (A recurring donation requires a creating an account and signing in.)
- How much to donate.
- Whether to donate with a credit or debit card, or via a direct bank-to-bank transfer.
Making a one-time donation to First Parish
These are the basic steps for making a one-time donation with a credit or debit card. (Example screen shots.)
- Choose a donation amount and fund. (For now, there’s only one fund.)
- Enter your card information, name, and address.
- Decide whether to add an extra 3% to cover the church’s cost of credit-card processing.
- Confirm the information and submit your donation.
To donate directly from a bank account, the steps are the same, except that you need to enter the routing number of your bank and your bank account number. These can both be found at the bottom of a check in the computer-readable font. The church’s costs for a bank-to-bank transaction are less, so the suggested amount to add is 1%.
Setting up an account with GivePlus for recurring donations
For convenience, you can set up an account with GivePlus. This account will avoid the need to enter your name, address, and payment information each time, making it the quickest way to make a donation. Also, it allows you to set up a recurring donation, either via credit card or direct from a bank account.
Creating an account is straightforward: Click on the “Create Account” on the “Sign In” screen, enter your first name, last name, and email address, and choose a password. Once this is complete, you are returned to the Sign In screen. You can now use your email address and password to sign in to the app.
The accounts created in the GivePlus Mobile app are shared with the GivePlus Online web interface. You may find it easier to create the account through the web.
Using GivePlus Mobile while signed in
When you sign in to GivePlus Mobile using your email address and password, the initial screen looks very similar to the first screen without logging in. However, now there’s a menu icon in the upper left.
Clicking on the menu icon brings up a menu of the options available when signed in:
The features available on this menu are documented separately here.